The 2020 Roseland Polo Season opens
Sunday, June 7th @ 1pm
*UPDATE: Polo will continue to be offered on a first come, first served basis and reservations will not taken. Please click here for additional information.
Dear Fans of Roseland Polo,
For 20 years, our Sunday polo matches have proudly been free and open to the public and have long served as a family gathering place for our community. After many days of internal discussion and planning, we have decided to continue to stay true to our principles of community and hospitality and to forego the use of reservations. However, in order to continue to keep ourselves and our guests safe, we have imposed strict social distancing procedures around the polo field which does mean that our total capacity has been significantly reduced.
There are a few things that you can do to help us keep the spirit of Roseland Polo alive during these challenging times. We will open our gates at 10:00am as we always have but we will be allowing only a fixed number of vehicles access to our newly spaced out field side parking spaces. These spaces have been set so that you and your family will have ample space to enjoy the match while safely distanced from other spectators. Once the field spaces have been filled, we will gladly accommodate you on our well-spaced patio or ample Tasting Room lawn area. While we know that it may be disappointing to visit only to find that no field side spaces are still available, we hope that you’ll stay and continue to enjoy the day with your family on our lawn.
We ask for your kindness, your patience and your understanding as we work to balance the health and safety of our visitors with our desire to continue to host this free event for our community. Together with your help and support, we are confident that we can continue to enjoy Sunday polo as a community for many more years to come.
The King Family
Field and weather conditions permitting, matches are held each Sunday at 1:00 pm from June 7th through early October.
On polo season Sundays, Tasting Room visitors are invited to join us fieldside to watch polo. Gates open at 10:00 am, matches are free, open to the public, and begin at 1:00 pm. Please visit this page, or our Facebook Page on Sunday mornings between Memorial Day Weekend, and mid- October after 9:00 am to confirm that we will be playing.
After David & Ellen King moved to Virginia from Houston, Texas in 1995, their search for a farm had one priority; 12 acres of relatively flat ground for a polo field. Vineyards and a winery were not even a dream at that point.
David King, one of the founders of King Family Vineyards, had played polo since 1980 and wanted a field and club to continue enjoying the sport.
The farm that now contains both Roseland Polo and King Family Vineyards fit perfectly into the family’s vision: a country place where we could all live, work, and play.
Tips For Enjoying The World’s Most Exciting Sport
- Polo can potentially be a dangerous sport. All guests watching polo must be aware of the location of both the ponies and the ball at all times during play. Please stay at least 30′ away from the boards around the edge of the field as the ponies and ball can come over the boards during play.
- Warning: Under Virginia law, there is no liability for an injury to or death of a participant in an agritourism activity conducted at this agritourism location if such injury or death results from the inherent risks of the agritourism activity. Inherent risks include, among others, risk of injury inherent to land, equipment, and animals, as well as the potential for you to act in a negligent manner that may contribute to your injury or death. You are assuming the risk of participating in this agritourism activity.
- SPEED LIMIT: 10 MPH. For the safety of children and other spectators, limit your speed to 10 mph and remain on the gravel road when entering and exiting. Please do not drive across the grass.
- Upon arrival, park your car well behind the boards (50 feet or more). Vehicles are welcome to park “tailgate style” around the field. You may also park in the winery parking lot and watch the match from our patio. Please do not park your car on the grass around the winery.
- Bring chairs, blankets and shade. Popup tents are permitted around the field, but not on the lawn adjacent to the Tasting Room. Because the horses can jump the boards during play, be sure to set up a safe distance from the fieldside boards (at least 30 feet). For your convenience, portable restrooms are located behind the scoreboard and on the west end of the field.
- Personal music is not permitted to be played on our Patio, Lawn, or Polo Field areas.
- King Family Vineyards wine will be for sale field-side. Flag down the golf cart circling the field during the match to purchase wine, bottled water, and Roseland Polo hats. All major credit cards accepted.
- Due to ABC laws, NO ALCOHOL other than King Family wine is permitted onsite. Our staff is required by law to prevent the consumption of other alcoholic beverages. Those who violate this policy put Sunday polo matches in jeopardy.
- ALL dogs must be on a leash at all times. Watch the match at all times as the ball, and horses, come over the boards during play. Exercise extreme caution when crossing the goal lines at either end of the field.
- Recreational Vehicles (RV’s) must park on the south end of the field (on the opposite end from the horse barn and flag pole) and park perpendicular to the field in order to share space with other guests. Generators of any kind are not permitted.
- To learn more about polo in our area, please visit the Virginia Polo Center website.